- Selection Required: Select product options above before making new offer.
- Offer Sent! Your offer has been received and will be processed as soon as possible.
- Error: There was an error sending your offer, please try again. If this problem persists, please contact us.
This is an incredible set of singing bowls, standing bowls, or the many other names these beautiful pieces go by. It is said the standing bowl originated in China somewhere from 16th-11th century BC and were called Nao. Of course, this set is not that old! We believe them to be 20th century AD. They were not produced as sets at that time but as single specimens or sometimes in chimed sets of three. Initially used in the Orient primarily in religious ceremonies, around the 1970s or possibly earlier, they became a modern-day phenomenon in the western hemisphere being used as musical instruments, ceremonial amenities, or alternative healing. To create their beautiful sound the bowls are struck with a mallet of varying types to create different sustained ringing. Therefore, another name they go by is struck bowl. Sound can also be generated by running a specific mallet around the inside rim in a continual motion to create a different type of vibration. And water can be added for tuning. Now, having told you all this……I would use them as a gorgeous centerpiece or stunning décor and object d’art. So, whether you love them for their sound or their looks….you need to make them yours.
Handsome set of 6 nesting singing bowls or standing bowls with 3 different mallets for playing. Hand-made of bronze or bell metal having an incised design on each bowl. They are in wonderful vintage condition and have awesome patina. Please see photos. Circa 20th century.
NOTE: We have several sets of these we are listing in the next few weeks so please look at our other offerings if you want a smaller set or a single.
- Bowl #1 – 3 H x 5.5 D Inches
- Bowl #2 – 3.75 H x 7.75 D Inches
- Bowl #3 – 4.25 H x 9 D Inches
- Bowl #4 – 5 H x 10.5 D Inches
- Bowl #5 – 5 H x 11.5 D Inches
- Bowl #6 – 7 H x 16.75 D Inches
- Weight – 28.4 Pounds All
- Height – 12 Inches
- Width – 22 Inches
- Depth – 22 Inches
- Weight – 40 Pounds