John M. Smyth Company long time Chicago staple was founded in 1867. At one time they occupied a complete block called John M. Smyth Block on West Madison Street. Today the Kennedy Expressway goes right through where the store was located. Their family ownership spanned three generations. All John M. Smyths. And, aside from Marshall Field, John M. Smyth is one of the names synonymous with Chicago retailing. They severed all family ties to the store in 1994. And, in 2005, after nearly 140 years, the last store closed.